Here’s a question: What would happen if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90 percent of the speed of light?
The answer is: Don’t.
Not that anyone’s going to pitch a ball that fast, but if they do, you definitely don’t want to be the batter. Or the pitcher. Or in the stands watching. Or anywhere near the ball field. But, trust me, you very definitely want to see what happens.
Cartoonist Randall Munroe over at xkcd has just launched an every Tuesday “what if?” series. And in this first one, he’s asked what would happen if a ball approached 90 percent of the speed of light. His answer, mixed with his wonderfully primitive illustrations, starts calmly…
To see what follows, go over to his place, but first, put on some sunglasses, buy a lead suit, then click here.
This is like porn for physicists
- youngarmadillo reblogged this from davereed
- alldirections reblogged this from moderation
- enidarrah reblogged this from shiman6
- shiman6 reblogged this from moderation
- librarianpirate likes this
- weareautomata reblogged this from moderation
- sydeffex likes this
- unicorntoez likes this
- simplyjet reblogged this from adeandabet
- photomelissa likes this
- walpaper likes this
- hungryghoast likes this
- how-tokissdistinctly-american reblogged this from adeandabet
- davereed reblogged this from moderation and added:
- section9 likes this
- blueemeralds27 likes this
- adeandabet reblogged this from moderation
- adeandabet likes this
- davereed likes this
- moderation posted this